Lithotripsy is root planing carried out using ultrasound.
What is root planing or lithotripsy ?
- This step is carried out by the dental surgeon under local anaesthetic.
- It should be started once the patient has mastered plaque control.
- It consists of eliminating bacteria and tartar from deep inside the periodontal pockets using curettes and ultrasound.
- There is no need for detachment of the gums or for sutures.
- Several sessions are necessary.
- Following this treatment, there is a risk that you may have sensitivity to cold for several months.
Root planing and lithotripsy have the same objective: to eliminate bacteria from deep inside the pockets.
Following this treatment, the gums will be sensitive for several months. It is therefore not always possible to re-start plaque control immediately and you may have to use a mouthwash during this period.